The Housing Authority of Gloucester County was formed in 1972 and since then has been successfully operating various housing programs. During that time the Authority has had two Board Chairs and three Executive Directors.
The current Executive Director, Mrs. Kimberly Gober, has a B.S. in Business Administration and Accounting and a Public Housing Management Certification through the National Association of Housing and Redevelopment Officials (NAHRO). She joined our staff in 1994 and has over 22 years of experience managing Housing Assistance Programs.
HAGC staff is familiar with the Department of Housing & Urban Development program operations and requirements. All key staff members routinely attend conferences and/or training seminars sponsored by NAHRO, Nan McKay Associates, HUD and others.
CURRENT PROGRAMS ADMINISTERED/MANAGED BY HAGC
1. Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program - Tenant Based Assistance
The HAGC administers 1,928 units of tenant based rental assistance in the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program. The tenant generally pays 30% of their adjusted income towards rent and utilities and the Authority pays the rental assistance directly to third party landlords on behalf of the assisted tenants. The assisted dwelling units are subject to inspections in accordance with Housing Quality Standards promulgated by the U.S. Department of HUD.
2. Section 8 Moderate Housing Rehabilitation Program - Unit Based Assistance
The Authority currently has contracts with landlords totaling 15 units in the Moderate Rehabilitation Program. The tenant generally pays 30% of adjusted income towards rent and utilities and Authority pays the balance of contract rent directly to the property owner. The Housing Subsidy under the Section 8 Mod Rehab program remains with the unit. If the family moves, they lose their housing subsidy.
3. Colonial Park Apartments – Section 8 New Construction - Unit Based Assistance (Elderly Only)
Colonial Park Apartments, located at 401 South Evergreen Avenue, Woodbury, NJ is a Section 8 “New Construction” Program for elderly families whose incomes do not exceed 60% of the area median income. The building contains 200, one-bedroom apartments, of which 20 are modified for physically disabled person(s). Tenants pay 30% of their adjusted monthly income towards rent and utilities. Colonial Park has recently undergone a major renovation. The renovations were financed through the low income housing tax credit program.
4. Public Housing – Unit Based Assistance (Family/Elderly)
The Authority owns and operates 62 scattered-site single-family houses, located in Deptford Township, West Deptford Township, Monroe Township and Washington Township for certified eligible very low income families. These dwellings consist of 2, 3 and 4 bedroom homes. Applicants may express a desire to live in a specific community. Certified families pay 30% of their adjusted income, minus an allowance for tenant supplied utilities.
5. Public Housing - Unit Based Assistance (Elderly or Disabled)
The Housing Authority owns and operates two (2) one bedroom apartment buildings designed for elderly or disabled persons over the age of 50. Tenants pay 30% of their adjusted monthly income towards rent and utilities. The apartment buildings are as follows:
§ Carino Park Apartments - 100 Chestnut Street, Williamstown, NJ
100 Apartments, including 15 units with modifications for physical disabilities.
§ Deptford Park Apartments - 120 Pop Moylan Boulevard, Deptford, NJ
100 Apartments, including 10 units with modifications for physical disabilities).
6. Expanded Housing Opportunities Program - (Family/Elderly/Disabled)
12 units of 3 and 4 bedroom single family units throughout West Deptford Township available for occupancy by low-income households at affordable flat rents.
7. Congregate Services Program
The Authority operates a Congregate Services program for the elderly, funded through the New Jersey Department of Community Affairs providing daily meals (self-prep), housekeeping, laundry and shopping services for the elderly.
The Authority provides a FEMA funded emergency meals program for low income aged sick persons.
MANAGEMENT AGENT EXPERIENCE
Properties managed by the Housing Authority of Gloucester County are:
1. Deptford Park Apartments
120 Pop Moylan Blvd., Deptford, NJ 08096
Public Housing - 100 unit elevator complex for elderly/disabled
2. Carino Park Apartments
100 Chestnut Street, Williamstown, NJ 08094
Public Housing - 100 unit elevator complex for elderly/disabled
3. 62 Public Housing Scattered Site Units for Families in Deptford, West Deptford, Monroe and Washington Townships
4. Colonial Park Apartments, Section 8 New Construction
401 S. Evergreen Avenue, Woodbury, NJ 08096
Owned by Colonial Park LP
200 unit elevator complex for elderly/disabled
5. Expanded Housing Program
13 Individual Houses Owned by Housing Authority of Gloucester County
Rented to Middle Income Working Families
First Settlement – 9/18/91; #12 9/25/92
6. 1,928 Section 8 Vouchers
Process applications, interview tenants, arrange for leases (tenants and landlords) and process checks for landlords
Original ACC 9/30/76
7. 15 Mod Rehab Units (Unit Based Assistance)
Process applications, interview tenants, arrange for leases (tenants and landlords) and process checks for landlords. Current inventory is 15 units
8. Nancy J. Elkis Seniors Housing Authority of Gloucester County
100 Pop Moylan Blvd., Deptford, NJ 08096
Owned by Pop Moylan Urban Redevelopment Co., LLC
80 Elevator Operated Units for 55 and older
Tax Credit and NJHMFA Financed – Opened 1997, Dedicated February 23, 1998
Office opened May, 1998
9. Shepherd’s Farm Senior Housing
980 Grove Road, West Deptford, NJ 08086
Owned by Shepherd’s Farm Senior Housing at West Deptford, Inc.
75 Elevator Operated Units for 62 & Older
Opened December, 2004; Dedicated July 7, 2005
10. The Housing Authority of the Borough of Glassboro
181 Delsea Manor Drive, Glassboro, NJ 08028
· Section 8 Vouchers - HAGC administers the Housing Choice Voucher program for the Glassboro Housing Authority through an inter-local service agreement. The program has 232 Housing Vouchers.
· Public Housing - The Glassboro Housing Authority currently owns and operates three (3) developments designed for elderly or disabled persons. The developments contain efficiency, one, and two bedroom apartments. Tenants pay 30% of their adjusted monthly income towards rent and utilities.